MON, MAY 11 2020-theG&BJournal- The Edo State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Patrick Okundia, today announced the discharge of one more COVID-19 patient, who has tested negative twice for the virus and cleared from the state’s isolation centres.
The Commissioner also disclosed that the state government has ramped up ongoing screening and testing exercise across the state’s 18 Local Government Areas (LGAs), screening over 104,186 persons, testing about 704 residents and contact tracing over 689 others who have had various degrees of contacts with confirmed cases.
He said, while addressing newsmen, that the government have set up over 18 screening centres across the state, with five additional ones at borders with Delta, Ondo and Kogi States and another eight (8) mobile screening centres moving around wards in local governments to screen and collect samples that fit the case definition for testing. With the model, the state government screens at least 10,000 people daily and collects at least 20 samples for testing.”
“So far, we have screened over 104,186 and tested over 704 persons in the state and have continued to scale up as we aggressively push to screen a minimum of 500,000 people and test about 5,000 individuals in the next few weeks,’’ Okundia said.
Edo state has recorded 79 confirmed cases of coronavirus. 62 are active cases. 13 patients have been discharged and 4 deaths recorded as well.