Home News COVID-19 Edo State: Health officials clear 111 suspected cases and 380 contacts

COVID-19 Edo State: Health officials clear 111 suspected cases and 380 contacts

308
0

…targets to screen 500,000 and test 5000

Partners four telecos to create a social register of at least 125,000 people

FRI, MAY 08 2020-theG&BJournal-The Edo State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Patrick Okundia, said ten persons who have tested negative twice to the virus has been discharged. Another 491 persons, comprising 111 persons of interest (POIs) and 380 line-listed contacts, who have completed the compulsory 14-day follow up and tested negative have also been cleared.

The State has recorded a total of 65 confirmed cases spread across nine Local Government Areas (LGAs) of the state, including Oredo, Esan West, Egor, Ovia North East, Ikpoba-Okha, Uhunmwode, Etsako Central, Esan South East, and Akoko-Edo. There are also 593 suspected cases of COVID-19 identified, according to the Health Commissioner.

“As we ramp up efforts to contain the COVID-19 pandemic in our dear state, it is pertinent to note that compliance with the government’s stay-at-home and social distancing directives, as well as other precautionary measures, are non-negotiable in the fight against the spread of the virus,’’ Dr Okundia reminded the indigenes. ‘’Wash your hands regularly with soap under running water, use alcohol-based sanitisers, and try to get screened at any of our centres across the state. If you must go out, wear facemasks and avoid large gathering of persons.”

Meanwhile, the State Governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki, has said the state government has finalised plans with four telecommunication companies to create a social register of at least 125,000 people in the state who make up the most vulnerable households that are in need of relief in the wake of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

The governor, disclosed this during the 2020 edition of The Platform, tagged, “Nigeria’s Battle Against COVID-19: The Journey So Far”, organised by the Covenant Nation.

He noted that the state has set a target to screen 500,000 and test 5000 persons respectively. He said  that the efforts to contain the virus in the state is being managed through a Response Team that meets every day to ensure swift, proactive actions to stem the spread of the virus in the state.

Obaseki said the state government is distributing relief materials to over 190,000 persons in vulnerable households across the state in partnership with religious leader, traditional rulers and community partners, and that the process is being monitored by civil society groups and journalists in the state.

|twitter:@theGBJournal|email: info@govandbusinessjournal.com.ng|